I’m going to preface this post with saying: It’s hard for me to critically analyze something when I really love it. And I LOVED the Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man comics (vol. 1 & 2) that we are reading for class this week. I don’t know if anything else in this class from here on out will be able to live up to these in my opinion.
So here’s where I try to explain why I love these comics so much and I’m sorry in advance for all the fan-girling…
1. The humor. The action is all great and fun, but what makes these comics so stellar is how they balance the action with humor. For example, in vol. 1 when Miles is wearing the Halloween costume of Spider-Man and numerous people remark how wearing the costume is in bad taste. I was actually laughing out loud.
2. The art/ layout. I am far from an expert in comics or in art. So just the fact that I noticed it enough to think about it means something. The variations in the sizes of the panels, overlapping panels, art not in a bordered panel… I just loved all the variety, and I felt it was all really tastefully done. The layout made sense with the action that was happening in the story. It seemed to me like it was a very polished piece of work.
3. Superhero/ villain cameos. Once again, I haven’t read a lot of comics, but I am familiar with a lot of characters through movies as well as from the other Spiderman comics we’ve read for this class (Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection Vol.1 & The Amazing Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks Vol. 1). It was so fun for me to see Nick Fury and Iron Man. And I’m sure for people who are avid comic readers, it’s even more enjoyable because they’d recognize many characters.
4. Family. The supportive loving mother… the father who is a good guy, but doesn’t like superheroes… and then there’s the uncle. The uncle responsible for Miles becoming the new Spider-Man. The uncle with a dark past and unclear motives in the present. The family dynamics in this story are so interesting and drew me in completely.
5. MILES MORALES. I am so satisfied with the new Spider-Man. He is relatable and sweet and so easy to root for. I think he is an amazing character and so worthy of becoming a superhero.
Okay so I could go on about why I love this comic, but I think the above list pretty much sums up the main reasons. Since I loved vol. 1 & 2 so much, of course I immediately looked up information about vol. 3… and found out it’s already out! It collects issues 11-18 and was released in hardcover on January 22nd. I am so excited to get my hands on it. Also, I discovered Spider-Men in which Peter Parker and Miles Morales meet! (“How??” you may ask… well I haven’t read it yet but I guess there’s something about a portal). I’m definitely interested in reading that one as well.